Residential Structural Inspections

 EMA Structural Engineers | 40-Year Recertifications
EMA provides residential structural inspections

Many engineering firms do not offer Florida residential structural inspections. At EMA, we understand the residential market and the homeowner’s need for residential structural inspections. We value their business and our team is proud to service this sector. Most of the work that we perform for residential homeowners begins with an onsite engineering assessment. Our licensed, professional engineers make a site visit to the property. We survey the areas of concern and assess the severity of the structural problems in question and provide residential structural inspections in Orlando, Tampa, Daytona, Melbourne, Clearwater.

After a site investigation is conducted, our licensed engineers prepare a structural engineering report outlining onsite findings, identifying probable cause of the structural issue, and recommendations for remediation of any structural deficiency un-covered. We provide our clients with a photograph log documenting existing conditions at the time of the site visit.

When should I hire a structural engineer?

Buying/Selling Of A Home:

In many instances, we are called to evaluate a potential problem un-covered after a home inspection. In this scenario, the homeowner is usually selling their home. After a general home inspection is complete, sometimes a structural engineering inspection is also warranted. If this is the case, the home inspector will include this recommendation in his or her final home inspection report. Home inspectors are not qualified to assess and diagnose structural problems. Only a licensed, a structural engineer can provide accurate assessments and solutions for a home buyer or seller.

Proposed Renovation Projects:

If you are planning on renovating your home and it involves removing or cutting into load-bearing walls, adding living space by way of 2nd story renovation, or addition with great rooms containing wide open spaces (no supports), a structural engineering consultation is warranted. If you are extending your living quarters, you will require design and engineering for permit documents. Your local building department will require a licensed, professional engineer to stamp any new construction or major renovation.

Complicated structures or projects involving older homes (constructed before 1970) may also require early input from a structural engineer. Many times homes constructed before the 1960s-70s were built without prescriptive building methods. Today, state and local building codes exist to ensure contractors and home builders follow a set of pre-determined guidelines for building a home. A licensed, structural engineer is the best professional to assess the feasibility of any major home renovation project. A site visit can be conducted to evaluate potential, structural issues.

What other residential home issues require a licensed, structural engineer?

EMA Structural Forensic Engineers – Quora